ZK 5 RC Released

asked 2009-09-29 04:43:58 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

updated 2009-10-02 00:37:25 +0800

The ZK team is pleased to release ZK 5 RC with its developer-centric and architectural innovation such as Server+Client Fusion and Ajax-as-a-Service.

Since 2005 ZK has been renowned for its' server-centric approach, providing the ultimate in productivity gains. In addition, developers can now optionally leverage the full controllability of client-side programming. It is not about server-centric or client-centric, it is about developer-centric!

With the release of ZK 5 RC come some very important changes.

* Server+Client Fusion: With ZK 5's new architecture, developers can not only leverage the productivity boost of the server-centric architecture, but also the full controllability and instant responsiveness of client-side programming.

* jQuery: ZK 5 now allows developers to maximize the user experience using enterprise-level ZK widgets and the simplicity of jQuery.

* Ajax-as-a-Service: ZK 5 now brings the ability to load client-side JavaScript packages from distributed servers. This delivers EAI integration client-side, enabling the same close knit ease of backend integration but at the client!

* LGPL: ZK 5 is now licensed under the LGPL license.

Download & other resources

* Download ZK 5 RC

* ZK 5 RC Release notes

delete flag offensive retag edit

80 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2009-10-01 11:28:44 +0800

jduemmel gravatar image jduemmel

@ofeus

No - this is a compatibility trick. The class is included, but not the methods (compare the sources).
Try to create a border layout with north, east, west, etc... and try to set collabsible, resizeable, minsize, maxsize, or setting a title. The zkex.jar, which includes this functionality, is no more part of the community edition since 5.0.0 RC.

We use 100% pure Java and recognize immediate, if functionality changes.
None of our applications runs with 5.0.0, but run perfect with 3.6.2 community edition.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2009-10-01 11:43:54 +0800

ofeus gravatar image ofeus

Okay, I just read the feature list at the download page, but doesn't test ist.

But in these thread one of the zk team members write that they will include full
support for the layout components in the community edition.

Quote from the thread:
http://www.zkoss.org/forum/index.zul#path%3DlistComment%3BdiscussionId%3D9714%3BcategoryId%3D14%3B

"In response to the strong demand of the full-featured borderlayout,
we repackaged ZK 5.0 RC Community Edition with the full-featured borderlayout,
including title and collapse.

Make sure the build number you downloaded is 09100117."

Perhaps the zk team is rethinking the new license model.

answered 2009-10-01 12:16:25 +0800

ziftech gravatar image ziftech
87 2

updated 2009-10-05 09:46:30 +0800

let's hope that everything will be fine

answered 2009-10-01 12:19:37 +0800

smigol gravatar image smigol flag of Italy
316 2

updated 2009-10-01 12:25:56 +0800

ok, this is a good step by the ZK team, but it would be correct, I think, to be transparent and clear, that they posted on the page
http://www.zkoss.org/price/pricing.dsp
an additional column comparing Community Edition to better understand the difference with the Professional and Enterprice!
Then, what is the Standard license???

answered 2009-10-01 12:23:14 +0800

kazuma gravatar image kazuma

I'm started to spread the word about this new licensing...

answered 2009-10-02 00:33:17 +0800

zero5 gravatar image zero5

updated 2009-10-02 00:45:48 +0800

Come on, guys. I think you are overreacted. I downloaded the community edition and tried it. All functions I want are there, except the charting. ZK was licensed under GPL and charged professional/enterprise for a long time. Now they opened up with community edition under LGPL. It means free of charge (at least, for me -- I don't distribute my apps under GPL). I welcome this change as long as they can keep improving the community edition.

@ofeus, I tested the borderlayout with last build. Yes, it is full functional. I also tested some hflex/vflex with borderlayout. It seems work nicely.

answered 2009-10-02 05:59:17 +0800

Zero5, what about the Zk package. In the licensing page it's clear that they will be priced. ZKGoogleMap, ZKCalendar, ZKSpreadsheet...
I have a couple of website using all of them and I don't have money to pay those high fees...

answered 2009-10-02 06:38:46 +0800

bvl gravatar image bvl

It would be great to have a ZK5-RC available on maven2 repo

answered 2009-10-02 07:16:59 +0800

zero5 gravatar image zero5

updated 2009-10-02 16:11:16 +0800

Kazuma, it is better to have ZK team to answer you. All I know ZK and these supplemental products were licensed under GPL (and now?). It is free only if you distribute your applications under GPL. My clients bought the license, when I implemented a contract for them.
From my point of view, ZK has, at least, a free version (LGPL) for commercial use now. It is an improvement to me. I am not sure about the others. It is, of course, better to all LGPL, but I think it is unlikely. They have to make money. ZK is, I think, too complex to be maintained by volunteers. Just a thought, how about someone implements the features found in professional or enterprise editions and licensed in under LGPL? Is it legally possible? It seems not difficult technically -- zkex.jar and zkmax.jar are small comparing to other ZK files. But, forking is usually not good. Well, I am not sure.

answered 2009-10-02 08:05:37 +0800

Zero5, I totally understand they need to make money. If the prices were not so high I would be happy to pay for using the commercial versions and if I do something for a customer, I will definitely don't have any issue in having them paying for the package.
I don't mind being forced to use a community edition of ZK for my personal stuff, but now I must rewrite the entire calendar or gmaps parts (fortunately i haven't started use spreadsheet yet) to use different solution.

Other companies do provide all packages, with basic functionalities, making the faster, and fully featured version on charge, and charging support.

I don't blame the option, but since I need to start a new project from scratch I dunno if I can develop it with 3.6.x and then having my customer running it on 5.0.x (making him pay, no problem with that) without rewriting part of the code.
I prefer to start using another tool (ICEFaces maybe, or Thinwire or something else) that are definitely less powerful and waybe more complex than ZK but their licensing is clear and the developer version is the same that the "commercial" version.

Just disappointed. There are ways to do business, this is Microsoft Like.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2009-09-29 04:43:58 +0800

Seen: 12,305 times

Last updated: Jan 30 '11

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting