ZK 5 RC Released

asked 2009-09-29 04:43:58 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

updated 2009-10-02 00:37:25 +0800

The ZK team is pleased to release ZK 5 RC with its developer-centric and architectural innovation such as Server+Client Fusion and Ajax-as-a-Service.

Since 2005 ZK has been renowned for its' server-centric approach, providing the ultimate in productivity gains. In addition, developers can now optionally leverage the full controllability of client-side programming. It is not about server-centric or client-centric, it is about developer-centric!

With the release of ZK 5 RC come some very important changes.

* Server+Client Fusion: With ZK 5's new architecture, developers can not only leverage the productivity boost of the server-centric architecture, but also the full controllability and instant responsiveness of client-side programming.

* jQuery: ZK 5 now allows developers to maximize the user experience using enterprise-level ZK widgets and the simplicity of jQuery.

* Ajax-as-a-Service: ZK 5 now brings the ability to load client-side JavaScript packages from distributed servers. This delivers EAI integration client-side, enabling the same close knit ease of backend integration but at the client!

* LGPL: ZK 5 is now licensed under the LGPL license.

Download & other resources

* Download ZK 5 RC

* ZK 5 RC Release notes

delete flag offensive retag edit

80 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2009-09-29 07:40:25 +0800

VladKon gravatar image VladKon
36 1 2

Hi, Guys
What is a price for new ZK5 pro and ent?
Regards, Vlad

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2009-09-29 14:31:06 +0800

cicciobellomo gravatar image cicciobellomo

I see trial period for professional and enterprise version. What about pricing ?

answered 2009-09-30 05:16:52 +0800

jduemmel gravatar image jduemmel

We recognized that the module zkex is not longer part of the community edition and also never more included in the sources. That means that core parts of ZK like BorderLayout and ColumnLayout will not work anymore for all our customer applications which are all under GPL. So we can't switch to newer Versions of ZK and have to decide seriously what to do in the future. This is a very hard kickback for the Open Source Community and the overall acceptance of ZK as an "Open Source" solution. Please rethink that decision.

answered 2009-09-30 06:45:43 +0800

smigol gravatar image smigol flag of Italy
316 2

I agree with what was said by jduemmel in post previous mine! What a pity!!!

answered 2009-09-30 09:06:23 +0800

jeanher gravatar image jeanher
1824 2 6
ZK Team

@ VladKon & cicciobellomo,

If you are interested in Professional and Enterprise Commercial Licenses, please contact us at info AT zkoss DOT org. Thank you.

answered 2009-09-30 09:33:32 +0800

jduemmel gravatar image jduemmel

Dear jeanher, this is no solution. It's not about the $$$ for a developer license. It's the fact that we cannot deliver our Open Source Solutions with ZK under GPL anymore. Our customers won't accept this.
You cut core ZK functionality, which where under LGPL since V3.0.0. A maintenance agreement may be ok fur us, but not the change of the license behaviour.

answered 2009-09-30 13:24:34 +0800

alexbally gravatar image alexbally

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit surprised to see a change in the terms of the license.
ZK is great work, but I think this kind of license will stop up 90% of people to share this great work, and lost more and more ZK developer.

answered 2009-09-30 14:41:27 +0800

ofeus gravatar image ofeus

Hi,

its even not clear if the prices applies to older versions or only to the new zk 5 Release.

I think and hope the older Versions like 3.6.2 where released under the GPL and so the licence could not be changed with retrospective effect.

So we will continue to use these older versions in our existing projects and for new projects we will use other free frameworks.
Fortunately the 3.6.2 version runs very stable and includes the most used features.
Even if it is a pity, cause we like to use zk in our projects and the new version 5 features looks great.
But the prices for the licences per year are to high and the community editon lacks in essential features.

answered 2009-09-30 15:16:12 +0800

smigol gravatar image smigol flag of Italy
316 2

updated 2009-09-30 15:18:53 +0800

HI @ofeus,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but today I writed email to [email protected] for requesting license information! I'll carry you a part of the email response:

Hello ...,

Glad to hear from you and thank you for your interest in ZK.

With regard to the price,
You can take a look at our pricing table here: http://www.zkoss.org/price/pricing.dsp#license

This table is applicable to ZK 3.6 and prior versions. With regards to ZK 5.0, the items included in each package will be finalized before the official release scheduled by the end of the year. It may slightly differ from the current table and includes more new features, but offered at the same price as ZK 3.6. ...

answered 2009-09-30 16:27:18 +0800

ofeus gravatar image ofeus

Hi @smigol,

thank you for the information.

So it seems that beside the community editions the other editons never where released under a free license.
Perhaps Potix just forgot to list the prices. ;)

This seems to be the reason, why there is no license text delivered with the older download packages.

This seems to me a little bit strange.

Fortunately we just have used zk in some small test projects and if the
prices also applies to older versions we will switch to another web
framework.

There are and there will be many other promising open source web frameworks
and I think such an license model will be the end for the zk community and
the framework.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2009-09-29 04:43:58 +0800

Seen: 12,305 times

Last updated: Jan 30 '11

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting