Out of memory: GC overhead limit exceeded

asked 2013-02-06 15:51:30 +0800

Neus gravatar image Neus
1415 14

updated 2013-02-07 08:06:23 +0800

Hi, Today I had a new memory exception. I don't know what's the reason of the memory leak but here is the first stacktrace that I managed to recover from the Tomcat logs:

SEVERE: >>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(AbstractStringBuilder.java:64) at java.lang.StringBuilder.<init>(StringBuilder.java:85) at java.lang.Class.toString(Class.java:148) at java.lang.String.valueOf(String.java:2854) at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:232) at org.zkoss.util.ArraysX.toString(ArraysX.java:41) at org.zkoss.lang.Objects.toString(Objects.java:366) at org.zkoss.lang.Classes.newNoSuchMethodException(Classes.java:746) at org.zkoss.lang.Classes.getCloseMethod(Classes.java:803) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.ConventionWire.injectByName(ConventionWire.java:268) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.ConventionWire.wireImplicit(ConventionWire.java:141) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.ConventionWire.myWireVariables(ConventionWire.java:119) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.ConventionWire.wireVariables(ConventionWire.java:116) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.ConventionWires.wireVariables(ConventionWires.java:150) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.GenericAutowireComposer$BeforeCreateWireListener.onEvent(GenericAutowireComposer.java:312) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.GenericAutowireComposer$BeforeCreateWireListener.onEvent(GenericAutowireComposer.java:309) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.AbstractComponent.onEvent(AbstractComponent.java:2734) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.AbstractComponent.service(AbstractComponent.java:2683) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.AbstractComponent.service(AbstractComponent.java:2646) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessor.process(EventProcessor.java:136) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.process0(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:534) at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.run(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:461)

After this the application got freeze and a lot of this type of exception were thrown.

Also comment that when I stops Tomcat to restore the application in the Tomcat Console appears a lot of System.out.println that we print in the DesktopCelanup listener.

And this line usually appears too: feb 06, 2013 4:27:44 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads SEVERE: La aplicación web [/StsWeb] parece haber arrancado un hilo llamado [AWT-Windows] pero no ha podido pararlo. Esto tiene todas las papeletas de convertirse en un fallo de memoria.

I don't know if it is related to the exception but we have a lot of memory problems and seeing this makes me think that maybe it is part of the cause.

Any idea of the reason of this new memory leak?

Thank you

delete flag offensive retag edit

Comments

BTW, how can I post code lines in the new forum?

Neus ( 2013-02-06 15:51:55 +0800 )edit

to post code, you have to put a 'newline' before the code, and has 'tab' before each line of the code. more syntax here

dennis ( 2013-02-08 04:24:31 +0800 )edit

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2013-02-07 23:23:31 +0800

windeyu gravatar image windeyu flag of United States
288 3

From your stacktrace, there is already an error before the OutOfMemoryException occurred. Please see the line in your stacktrace:

org.zkoss.lang.Classes.newNoSuchMethodException(Classes.java:746)

ZK throws an exception that it cannot find a method in a class. However, in throwing the exception, it causes OutOfMemoryException. You can set a breakpoint at that line to see what method in what class it cannot find. This should solve the source of the problem. I'm guessing there may have been a miss-wired event name.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2013-02-08 04:42:14 +0800

dennis gravatar image dennis
3679 1 6
http://www.javaworld.com....

the exception means your jvm's memory is running out.

You have to some monitor tool to analyse you application to see if there were any memory leak, or it is just because of too many user on-line (then you have to consider to provide more memory or use load balance server).

link publish delete flag offensive edit
Your answer
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow
1 follower

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2013-02-06 15:51:30 +0800

Seen: 28 times

Last updated: Feb 08 '13

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training