New Forum, What do you think?

asked 2013-01-22 06:32:18 +0800

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >100 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2013-03-27 08:43:43 +0800

jimyeh gravatar image jimyeh
2047 1 4
ZK Team

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the new forum system (based on AskBot), we introduced the new forum to make it easier for everyone to find the correct answer and to foster even more community interaction between our users.

This thread is available so you, our users, can give us your opinion on the new forum. Your feedback is very important to us so please do not be afraid to post here!

If you have any issues on the forum please refer to our help section.

Enjoy!

delete flag offensive retag edit

40 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2013-02-08 09:32:27 +0800

terrytornado gravatar image terrytornado flag of Germany
9393 3 7 16
http://www.oxitec.de/

Hy Timothy, that's not the same and that what a viewer whish. The 'order' by date must work on the 'main' list and should include not only answers. It should include 'comments' too. Than it's ok.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2013-02-21 07:10:31 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

Hey Terry, though the comments are already ordered by date, just that they belong to a specific question or a specific answer. The order by date then can be used to order the answers. Basically each answer can have its own comments stream. Is that not what you require?

answered 2013-03-15 12:55:33 +0800

updated 2013-03-15 12:55:33 +0800

nsharma gravatar image nsharma flag of India
917 1 11

I haven't used the old version of it.but i am liking it the ways its build.well there is lot to learn from here.

Thanks

answered 2013-03-17 18:00:01 +0800

updated 2013-03-17 18:00:01 +0800

rdgrimes gravatar image rdgrimes
735 7

The main problem that I see with the new forum lies in the mistaken idea that the only reason people use a forum is to ask a question and get an answer. So, thus we have the primary divisions are ALL, UNANSWERED, and FOLLOWED. What if I just want to open a simple discussion thread? I don't want an answer, but simply want ideas or to engage my fellow ZK developers in a topic. Then, since such a thread never gets "answered", it stays out there forever, cluttering up the UNANSWERED list.

Next, I really dislike the idea that there are no sub-forums, like most forums normally have. Take another favorite forum, Java Ranch (see link). Such an organization of forum makes it easier to find an answer - especially if you have an active moderator who can move threads to the appropriate sub-forum. In this way, if we are searching for an answer or discussion thread, our search is reduced from perhaps tens of thousands of threads to a much smaller list of threads pertaining to the desired search terms.

Finally, what's up with the karma and badge points? I feel like I'm back in elementary school where I get a gold star on my homework if I did good. We are not children, and I don't care about karma points ... unless you're going to give me a brand new Mercedes when I get to a certain number. Otherwise, they are pointless.

Having worked with the new forum now for a few months, I have concluded that I really don't like it.

answered 2013-03-18 04:48:50 +0800

sjoshi gravatar image sjoshi flag of India
3493 1 8
http://zkframeworkhint.bl...

Then you have to check Stack overflow you will clear about your doubts which is far better than JavaRanch and even in google in top

answered 2013-03-19 01:22:07 +0800

735 7

Who cares whether stackoverflow has a higher ranking? The sites have completely different purposes. Stackoverflow is language independent. So, it will have more questioners. Java ranch is language dependent, and the ZK forum is Java framework dependent. So, you're comparing apples to oranges.

answered 2013-03-19 01:34:33 +0800

735 7

updated 2013-03-19 02:01:59 +0800

Framework specific forums tend to require more in depth discussion. The ZK team should have looked at how major framework forums are setup, and not Q&A forums set up for the "program by Googling" types. Look at Spring and Hibernate forums. There's a reason no major framework does an SO type forum.

answered 2013-03-19 02:31:54 +0800

sjoshi gravatar image sjoshi flag of India
3493 1 8
http://zkframeworkhint.bl...

Its not a question Who cares or not but in market Stackoverflow Overcome Java Ranch like forums or everyone like to ask questions in Stackoverflow rather than Java ranch also in search result Stackoverflow question are in top and very good answer and this ZK forum based on Stackoverflow concept

answered 2013-03-19 19:51:24 +0800

735 7

updated 2013-03-19 20:03:15 +0800

I couldn't understand your point. Heard of the use of periods to end sentences? It all just runs together, and I can't figure out what you're saying. Bottom line is, the thread question was, "New Forum, What do you think?" There is no right answer. It's all personal preference.

answered 2013-03-28 05:11:15 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know due to your feedback we have brought the ability to have a discussion back.

For more information please refer to this forum post.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow
3 followers

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2013-01-22 06:32:18 +0800

Seen: 522 times

Last updated: Oct 19 '13

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training