Disappointed in ZK 5.0.0 Release (bugs, bugs and closed sourcing of standard features - what gives?)

asked 2010-01-26 17:34:29 +0800

dhamu gravatar image dhamu
165 1 6

I'm very frustrated with ZK 5.0.0 release. Functionality that I have been working with for a long time is now relegated to the Professional and Enterprise Editions (the JARS are not provided with the CE edition). Worse still, I'm finding that functionality that has been reliable for several versions past and was solid in the 5.0 RC is now broken. Things as simple as combobox dropdowns don't display properly. It appears that Potix may have rushed this out before it's time. I'm reverting back to the RC until some of these issues are sorted out.

I'd also like to know why Potix would close source so much functionality at this time. It's really disappointing.

delete flag offensive retag edit

21 Replies

Sort by » oldest newest

answered 2010-01-26 20:05:28 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

Hello dhamu,

Thank you for posting your concerns. I am very sorry to hear about your experiences and am here to see what can be done.

First of all please let me address your issue regarding PE and EE. They are both still available under an open-source license, therefore if you were using the previous versions under the GPL license then you are still eligible to do the same (contact us at <info @ zkoss.org> for more information). If your application is not open source then please let me know what features you require which are not present in CE. I always want to gather more feedback from the community regarding CE.

Secondly, let’s investigate the issues you are experiencing. These issues have not been reported before so is it possible to provide us with a small example ZUL file that replicates them? Once we have replicated these issues our end we can set about formulating solutions.

Thanks,
Tim

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2010-01-26 22:52:00 +0800

agam198 gravatar image agam198

dhamu, you are not alone....
bye zk cal, bye zk timeline, bye Columnlayout, bye master-detail, bye grouping,

trapped :)

answered 2010-01-26 23:41:21 +0800

165 1 6

Below is the content of my sample.zul file. When I click on the combobox and hold the dropdown in place until the timer event occurs the dropdown suddenly widens to the entire width of the screen. This did not happen with ZK 5.0 RC.

<?page title="Avnet, Inc - Quarterly Cash Connection ©"?>

<zk xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:zk="http://www.zkoss.org/2005/zk">

<window>

<zscript>
import com.avnet.utilities.ServerAccess;

void pingServer() {
ServerAccess accessor = new ServerAccess();
accessor.ping();
timerPing.setValue(new Date().toString());
}
</zscript>

<timer id="atnPageTimer" delay="3000" repeats="true" onTimer="pingServer()" />
<label value="Time Period:"/>
<combobox width="200px" value="2010 Q1">
<comboitem label="2010 Q1"/>
<comboitem label="2009 Q4"/>
<comboitem label="2009 Q3"/>
<comboitem label="2009 Q2"/>
<comboitem label="2009 Q1"/>
</combobox>
<label id="timerPing" value="" />
</window>
</zk>

answered 2010-01-26 23:45:55 +0800

165 1 6

I am in agreement with agam198 regarding the loss of certain features from the CE edition including:

1) Grid with Master-detail
2) Grouping
3) Columnlayout,

In my opinion it is not acceptable to take these features and others out of the CE release. I have been building on ZK for years and now features that once did not require licensing are going to require us to purchase a license. I feel that my support of this project over the years has been somewhat of a waste, because I have sung the praises of this technology and this project for so long and now it's being taken away in a very fundamental sense.

answered 2010-01-27 01:20:05 +0800

anhtuantt gravatar image anhtuantt

updated 2010-01-27 01:30:37 +0800

Hi all,
So far, I'm very happy and eager with ZK framework. Until yesterday; i try to upgrade my project from ZK 3.6.3 to ZK 5.0 (I try to test two version RC2 and official release), I had to said that it's a nightmare. Here are the list of issues that i meet so far.(Note that, everything is OK with ZK 3.6.3).
1. I can't access the page component of the included page with the function :
Page page = getDesktop().getPage("ezemail"). It work well with ZK 3.6.3.
2. The custom CSS doesn't properly display.
3. Custom Script Action (CSA) isn't properly worked with ZK5.
4. The passing arguments from query string to included page doesn't work in ZK 5.0 official release (Note that it work well with RC2 release).
I'm wondering why ZK 5 is incompatible with the previous versions? I'm very disappointed about ZK 5. I decide to delay the upgrade process until i know exactly the way to fix my own issues.

Tuan Nguyen.

answered 2010-01-27 02:12:55 +0800

klim gravatar image klim

I totally agree with agam198 and dhamu. I am very sad by an opportunity to put all my two years efforts right into a bin and start searching for another yet free framework.

Ohh this wild wild world of money and profit.

answered 2010-01-27 03:09:34 +0800

iantsai gravatar image iantsai
2755 1

If your projects are commercial project and still under evaluation, you can download EE version here.
Download ZK

answered 2010-01-27 03:16:48 +0800

jumperchen gravatar image jumperchen
3909 2 8
http://jumperchen.blogspo... ZK Team

@Anhtuantt,

Have you seen the upgrade note?
If no, please take a look at the guide before upgrade your project.

answered 2010-01-27 03:47:48 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

Hey everyone,

Just to reiterate ZK 3 and previous versions have always required licensing, whether you used the GPL or our commercial license. All ZK 5 editions are still available under an open-source license, so please contact us if your project is GPL compliant and you require a license.

@Tuan & anyone upgrading.

When upgrading your application please take a look at our guidelines that jumper pointed out. If you still experience problems please do not hesitate to leave a forum message with some sample code.

answered 2010-01-27 04:45:24 +0800

anhtuantt gravatar image anhtuantt

@jumperchen & @tmillsclare
I have read it, but i still have a big concern. Why version 5.0 is too much incompatible with the old one?
Here are the link of my company web app to demo the big difference:
1. ZK 3.6.3 : http://113.161.70.241:9091/WebView/index.zul
2. ZK 5.0 official : http://113.161.70.241:9091
Using account : vpgm812/123456789 to log in to both of web application

Thanks,
Tuan Nguyen.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2010-01-26 17:34:29 +0800

Seen: 1,784 times

Last updated: Feb 05 '10

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting