Mobile or mobile ? :)

asked 2008-11-13 20:55:32 +0800

Phileas gravatar image Phileas
171 3

Well, developing for J2ME can quickly and easily be a nightware, especially when we want to take advantage of the phone capabilities. Regarding Android and for many reasons, i hope the nightmare just decrease to "difficulties". As i see, ZK mobile is just in charge of displaying data to the phone. What about ZK android ? Do you plan to take advantage of the phone capabilities ? As a first thinking, i don't see any other reason to do ZK android, but is it really your plan ?

delete flag offensive retag edit

4 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2008-11-14 05:15:03 +0800

tomyeh gravatar image tomyeh
610 1 3
http://blog.zkoss.org ZK Team

Exploring the phone's capabilities is a key factor. Meanwhile, the integration with the server, markup languages and many other direct RIA features are important, too.

Our next move is to provide the better offline capability (more precisely, running application codes at the client with or without server). Strong offline support and seamless server integration will be the core values of ZK Mobile. On the other hand, because of various mobile phones, exploring the phone's capacity will be a case-by-case job. It requires a lot of resources to provide a complete solution for meaningful number of phones. It is why we use Apache License for ZK Mobile -- we encourage the collaboration of the community no matter you want to open source your work or not.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2008-11-14 19:00:38 +0800

171 3

I clearly understand for ZK mobile, it's near like the never end mission. That's why i where asking for ZK android. Or do you mean ZK android is dead and only ZK mobile will be developed by now ?

answered 2008-11-27 02:11:53 +0800

tomyeh gravatar image tomyeh
610 1 3
http://blog.zkoss.org ZK Team

How can I say no after gphone has sold a million unints in a few months:)

ZK Mobile, for me, is a generic term for any mobile devices. Actually, Android and/or Blackberry are our next focus because they are more capable to do something interesting. IMO, Java Mobile is too limit for supporting obsolete devices -- and we cannot wait for Sun to enhance them. We will collaborate a partner to bringing a decent app, for instance, providing mobile frontend for Salesforces or similar.

answered 2009-01-01 22:52:13 +0800

171 3

Yes, i knew ZK Mobile were for you a generic term for any mobile devices :) but as Potix proposes ZK mobile and ZK android in the download section, it's at least, from this point, clearly 2 different things :)

As i understand your answer, modern mobile devices takes by now a higher priority in ZK than "just traditional j2me devices". That were my precise interest when started this thread. I also clearly agree with your position you took in your answer which is a good news concerning general ZK mobile orientation. I'm much more interested into a "ZK Mobile thing" covering devices like Android and/or Blackberry and/or whatever that "ZK mobile (which is for devices with j2me capabilities)" (so also here, the distinction by the name is important :) as ZK mobile would be different from ZK Blackberry ).

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2008-11-13 20:55:32 +0800

Seen: 322 times

Last updated: Jan 01 '09

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting