Failed to invoke class org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener

asked 2019-04-12 21:40:33 +0800

puneetakhouri gravatar image puneetakhouri

Hi, I am currently using the Zk framework ver 7.0.6.1 for our Web servers. Recently there have been numerous complaints of the servers getting super slow in production. Upon inspecting the logs, we found that the logs were filled with error - "Failed to invoke class org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener java.lang.NullPointerException" Now, this issue is very random and we have not been able to figure out a pattern to reproduce it. Nonetheless, a lot of customers have started reporting this issue.

Upon inspecting the ThreadLocalListener class, its constructor tries to retrieve the WebApp with the given line final WebApp app = Executions.getCurrent().getDesktop().getWebApp();

I believe the desktop object here is null, throwing the errors. My question is that although going through the tracker I found this issue to be fixed, it still seems to have cropped back again. What should be the fix for it and what seems to be the reason for it.

delete flag offensive retag edit

8 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2019-04-17 15:35:57 +0800

hawk gravatar image hawk
3225 1 5
http://hawkphoenix.blogsp... ZK Team

updated 2019-04-17 15:37:22 +0800

Could you paste the exception stack trace?

But enable event thread is deprecated since zk 7. So we don't suggest to enable event thread.

If you don't use event thread, then you don't need to add ThreadLocalListener.

Use ZK with SpringBoot, please refer to https://www.zkoss.org/wiki/ZKInstallationGuide/QuickStart/CreateandRunYourFirstZKApplicationwithSpringBoot#TheZK-SpringBoot_Demos

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2019-04-17 20:16:40 +0800

Thanks Hawk. Adding stacktrace.

2019-04-12 02:52:28,723 ERROR  -
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessor.setup(EventProcessor.java:158)
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.setup(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:419)
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.run(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:452)

2019-04-12 02:52:28,736 ERROR  - Failed to invoke class org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener.<init>(ThreadLocalListener.java:98)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor133.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:383)
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.util.Configuration.newEventThreadCleanups(Configuration.java:535)
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.newEventThreadCleanups(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:525)
    at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessingThreadImpl.run(EventProcessingThreadImpl.java:466)

Also in the current code, the event threads are enabled. I guess this has something to do with the fact that the code was built using 6.5 when event threads were not deprecated and later upgraded to 7.0.2 and then to 7.0.6.1. Also we use quite a few modal dialogs and currently use the getAttribute() to get responses from it and use it. Without event threads I believe we might have to modify the workflow quite a bit to get things working.

We have the following settings in the zk.xml as of now

<system-config>
    <disable-event-thread>false</disable-event-thread>
</system-config>

<listener>
    <description>ThreadLocal Synchronization Listener</description>
    <listener-class>org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener</listener-class>
</listener> 
<listener>
    <description>Controls the global update thread</description>
    <listener-class>com.ourproduct.web.GlobalUpdater</listener-class>
</listener>

<preference>
    <name>ThreadLocal</name>
    <value>
        org.springframework.security.context.ThreadLocalSecurityContextHolderStrategy=contextHolder
    </value>
</preference>

Some code snippets from our application just for reference is

try {
        window.doModal();
    }
    catch( SuspendNotAllowedException e ) {
        //log
    }
    catch( UiException e ) {
        //log
    }

if( !(Boolean) window.getAttribute("stop") ) return;

So if you say that we should disable event threads then there will be no need for the ThreadLocalListener. But in that case what should be the way to listen to messages from the modal window? Apologies for the naive question as I am new to this framework supporting some huge legacy code out there.

Thanks

answered 2019-04-18 12:07:15 +0800

hawk gravatar image hawk
3225 1 5

updated 2019-04-18 12:08:27 +0800

It won't be hard to rewrite it. Since ThreadLocalListener is very old (since zk 2.x) and gets no more updated for the event thread was deprecated. I suggest you to remove it.

I think there should be a place (or an event listener) where you set the attribute to a Window like window.setAttribute("stop", false). I suppose it would be onClose event listener. So you can implement your business logic in that listener.

Or you can add a button in the Window and listen to the button onClick event to execute your business logic and close the modal window.

For other components related to event thread, you can reference: https://www.zkoss.org/wiki/ZKDeveloper%27sReference/UIPatterns/EventThreads

answered 2019-04-18 15:54:00 +0800

updated 2019-04-18 15:56:11 +0800

Thanks Hawk for your prompt reply. Just had a query. After I posted the stacktrace for the error, what do you think is the issue in this case. Could you kindly share some insight into the current problem that I am facing.

I suspect that the Desktopis nullin this case. What do you think and if I am correct, in what scenario is this possible?

The reason I am asking for this possible scenario is because my zk code base is huge and this will help me narrow things out a bit. Also trying to change this code for modal window would require a good amount of regression to be done which might delay the release.

answered 2019-04-19 14:48:09 +0800

hawk gravatar image hawk
3225 1 5

The code at org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.EventProcessor.setup(EventProcessor.java:158) is

((ExecutionCtrl)exec).setCurrentPage(getPage());

So the exec, execution, is null.

if the execution is null, then this line org.zkoss.zkplus.util.ThreadLocalListener.<init>(ThreadLocalListener.java:98) will also throw NullPointerException

Normally, a desktop should contain a not-null execution. ZK creates an execution based on HTTP request. Need to find out why there is no related HTTP request.

answered 2019-04-26 23:03:47 +0800

Thanks Hawk. I am generally facing this issue when a very long running task is left open on the UI. It occurs sometimes and sometimes it does not. But one thing is common that a long running task is underway and that is when it happens.

answered 2019-04-29 10:33:29 +0800

hawk gravatar image hawk
3225 1 5

The problem might be your implementation of that long running operation. If run a long operation in a separate thread, there is no ZK Execution available in that separate thread. This might be related to your issue.

Please read

remember to activate() desktop in a separate thread.

answered 2019-07-29 19:07:02 +0800

Thanks Hawk. We decided to do away with ThreadLocalListener all together. The code changes and testing took sometime but I guess it is well worth the effort.

Thanks!

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow
1 follower

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2019-04-12 21:40:33 +0800

Seen: 26 times

Last updated: Jul 29 '19

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training