Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version

answered 2010-04-20 00:18:52 +0800

jasbirl gravatar image jasbirl

To be honest, your licensing is very confusing. Even though there is a comparison done (http://www.zkoss.org/price/pricing.dsp), here are the issues (put yourself in the position explaining your boss how the licensing options available work, and good luck):

1) It took me a while to figure out that "v" stated in the comparison stands for "volume" - or does it? I mean what does it really stand for? 2) Under Extensions, it indicates "-" with superscript 1; now what does "-" mean? Not Available? Optionally Available? Licensing Required? Or See footnote 1? 3) Almost every cell under PE and EP columns have a superscript; and the respective footer have 2 to 3 licensing mentioned. This is really really irritating. 4) At the bottom, the footer captions, there are two *; now I looked up and down that page, I could not find superscript for these *. Are these standalone statements? If yes, then why do they have * in front of them and why the font is so small? 5) To actually present all of the scenarios to my boss, I will have to make another spreadsheet with the following licenses in it: Open Source GPL, Commercial License, Apache license, LGPL license; then go through the the maze to figure out that if I want to be exclusive to one type of license, what can I actually use? Or if I want various components, what kind of license soup will I end up with! 6) Footer note #2, "Free to use under Apache license, BUT NOT included in PP and EP"? If it is not included in PP or EP, then why is it stated under PP and EP columns on this page? I think you are trying to implying something else.

It will be best that in the following link http://www.zkoss.org/product/edition.dsp, where you have the edition feature matrix, just draw a line at the end of the CE, PP and EP columns, state a total price and applicable licenses (Apache, Commercial, GPL, etc).

I am really disappointed.

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting
  • Outsourcing
Learn More