minimum hardware requirements

asked 2012-05-15 09:05:31 +0800

xerxes gravatar image xerxes

Hello.

I don't have any experience with deploying or hosting Java based web applications so I'm looking for some tips.

What are the minimum hardware requirements to run the whole thing (JRE, app server, ZK)? For starters I'm thinking about a small in-house application with about 3 simultaneous users, nothing heavy. It's LAN based so bandwidth is not a problem. I'm wondering about the CPU and RAM requirements.

delete flag offensive retag edit

8 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2012-05-15 10:04:19 +0800

Steva77 gravatar image Steva77 flag of Italy
1014 3
http://www.research.softe...

Hi, sorry to say but this does not sound a ZK related question, unless you want to know the requirements for a ZK-based web app...
From what you say (but you are not saying what these 3 users do) almost any HW would work... ;)

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2012-05-15 13:26:24 +0800

It's a general question about ZK-based web application. Probably it would be better to ask on a webserver's project forum, but I don't event know which one is the lightest option. And I'm sure people here have plenty of experience with different configurations.

So the application is a front end to a home monitoring project. I's got some toggle buttons to control stuff, a table with events log, and a lot of labels with often changing values (to represent the sensor readings). It will run in my basement so power consumption is an issue and that's why I'm asking for the hardware requirements.

Is it possible to run ZK-based web application on something like 233MHz CPU with 128MB RAM or is that not even enough for the whole Java thing?

answered 2012-05-15 15:15:55 +0800

Steva77 gravatar image Steva77 flag of Italy
1014 3
http://www.research.softe...

Didn't mean to be harsh at all ;)
Interesting application... I am also coping with energy efficiency nowadays.
With such minimal HW I think you might have problems... you should consider you will have also e.g. Tomcat running (one of the options for the servlet container, to deploy the ZK-based application).
Maybe ZK guys might help here...

answered 2012-05-15 15:52:31 +0800

gekkio gravatar image gekkio flag of Finland
899 1
http://gekkio.fi/blog

Server-side Java applications have typically some kind of minimum RAM they need to function, but CPU power requirements mostly depend on the performance of your code and what kind of response times you are aiming for. Can you describe your hardware ideas more specifically? MHz amounts are pretty much meaningless without more detailed information (for example 3.0 GHz Core i7 beats 3.0 GHz Pentium 4).

If we look at the RAM amount, we'll need to consider two memory region sizes: heap size and permgen. (Actually, there are other memory regions too, but they are small when compared to these two).

Permgen size depends heavily on what kind of software stack you are using. Frameworks that create new classes dynamically will take more permgen space than others. Nowadays I always have at least 128MB Permgen region to be safe. Some frameworks might also leak permgen space leading to potential problems (older Spring and Hibernate versions have been suggested to do this). I consider 64MB Permgen to be the minimum amount, but it's a bit risky.

Heap size is the most important memory region of a Java application. You'll need enough space to
1. Retain all long-lifespan objects
2. Have enough free space for short-lifespan objects or you'll just be doing garbage collection and not actual work

I typically run small applications with heap sizes between 256MB - 1GB, but you might be able to work with a lower amount. Something like 128 MB might work if your application is very light. I consider smaller heap sizes risky unless you know what you are doing.

So, overall I'd recommend at least 384MB (256MB heap + 128MB permgen) for Java, but you'll need slightly more in total so that the operating system will have some memory too.
You might get a light app working with 192MB (128MB heap + 64MB permgen), but I consider it risky.

answered 2012-05-15 21:55:49 +0800

It 's a nice embedded system so I can't even expand the RAM. The CPU in question was AMD Geode SC1100 so I can already see that it's no use for that application. Especially when we take into account that I don't have experience with deploying Java web applications - so in that sense I don't know what I'm doing and I will need a bit more to compensate for that.
Now I have some idea about the hardware requirements, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for your help.

answered 2012-10-10 09:12:07 +0800

keenoar gravatar image keenoar

I was wondering what is the minimum JDK version required for ZK? and also minimum tomcat version?

answered 2012-10-10 09:34:38 +0800

gekkio gravatar image gekkio flag of Finland
899 1
http://gekkio.fi/blog

As far as I know, Servlet 2.4 is the minimum (= Tomcat 6 or later). Using older Tomcat versions doesn't make any sense, since they are no longer supported (Tomcat 5.5 EOLed two weeks ago, and will be removed from the site in a couple of months).
Note that the Comet server push in ZK EE requires Servlet 3.0 (= Tomcat 7)!

I'm pretty sure the minimum JDK versions are:
ZK6: JDK 1.5
ZK5: JDK 1.4

answered 2012-10-10 09:55:26 +0800

keenoar gravatar image keenoar

Thanks!
Unfortunately, web hosting providers still use tomcat 5!

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2012-05-15 09:05:31 +0800

Seen: 300 times

Last updated: Oct 10 '12

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting