cant print the zk essentials pdf!

asked 2012-03-19 09:47:06 +0800

woodmawa gravatar image woodmawa

i have downloaded the V6 essentials PDF and have tried to print it

but it keeps saying it cant pages are not selected, even when i tell it to print the whole file

blasted annoying. I can select pairs of pages and print those upto page 14.

pages 15 -- rest will not print

does any one know where i can get a copy that i can print

jolly annoying

delete flag offensive retag edit

9 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2012-03-23 02:30:53 +0800

benbai gravatar image benbai
2228 6
http://www.zkoss.org

Hi,

Please try open the pdf in a browser then print it,
this works for me. (chrome)

Regards,
Ben

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2012-03-25 12:21:49 +0800

thanks ben but no soap

no i tried mozilla, i tried chrome, I get the PDF all right - but if I try to print it says document could not be printed - no pages selected to print (this in print all td option)

as i say if i try to pint pages upto 15 it works ok - but when i try beyond that it just refucses to print

is there a working zipped copy you could post and i'll try that and see if it works from my machine -

it very odd

answered 2012-03-25 14:48:57 +0800

terrytornado gravatar image terrytornado flag of Germany
9393 3 7 16
http://www.oxitec.de/

updated 2012-03-25 14:49:35 +0800

This is not the first thread avout it!

What's the problem to upload a new and correct pdf ??

answered 2012-03-26 07:42:58 +0800

benbai gravatar image benbai
2228 6
http://www.zkoss.org

updated 2012-03-26 07:50:14 +0800

Hi,

Please use Foxit PDF Reader instead. It prints the file correctly.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

We are still looking for why Adobe reader can't print it, but no luck so far.

Regards,
Ben

answered 2012-03-26 08:53:42 +0800

tmillsclare gravatar image tmillsclare
799 2 5 30

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately the solution is not as simple as uploading a new PDF file, if it was we would already have a working version of it in place. The issue lies with the system that we use to generate the PDFs from our documentation. We make use of mwlib from the command-line to output the PDF file.

The error that you have identified is one that happens on other wikis as well (I assume as you get up to a certain level of complexity) and is very hard to track and then fix. The assumption is that there is some item on page 15 that causes the issue though I have tried to render the individual pages and they print well. If we can track down the problem in the wiki markup (no mean feat) we can probably get somewhere with the issue, but even then the actual PDF rendering is out of our hands, the only thing we could do is avoid that wiki markup that causes the problem. Even then it isn't clear whether it is just one item or a combination of items which causes the problem as so far it only seems to affect the ZK Essentials.

So far tracking it down and then eliminating has proven a problem but if anyone wants to lend some time to the problem and succeeds in tracking it down please let me know I would be delighted to speak to you via email. We will keep working on this but as you can all appreciate this is something which is hard to fix.

answered 2012-03-26 10:39:41 +0800

ok - well i at least i discovered something interesting !

i tried to copy the file out thyrough Cutepdf printer and it said it couldnt print - but generates an output all the same upto page 14 - then stops - so the error is on page 15 and beyond somwhere

i just downloaded pdfedit which doesnt work on win64 - i have had to do that on my laptop instead.

I was going to try and see if i could edit the text from the broken one and somehow create a new one that might work - keep you posted - but not too hopeful

is there any way the documentation could pushed through open office/word/similar - as that would then generate another format. also open office will spit out pdf if i recall - i'm a word user as are most office lackeys i suspect

Will

answered 2012-03-26 10:48:08 +0800

PS downloaded foxit software - and started at page 15 and so far its printing

thats a distinct improvement - so thanks for that litlle tidbit

answered 2012-03-26 12:14:09 +0800

tried pdfedit - just too painful and it crashed when i tried to do an update on the file -

one thing i do note is that the generated text doest always seem to process 'code view'

for example on page 27 (as printed on page below the 'login behaviour' picture there is a bit that starts
<syntx lang="xml"> ..

which is supposed i suspect to be pretty printed code but isnt

does the sam thing on page 30 for UserCredentialsManager code - which you can barely figure out beavcuse of the lack of layout

i dont know your generator and dont normally play with pdf other than to read it

however - ive just had my toe oppoed on so i can at least read this on my back now and try figure out what ZK is doing for me -

i hope its going to be good in the end

thanks for the help at least getting the print out

Will

answered 2012-03-26 12:46:52 +0800

having similiarish problems with the zk developers guide, i can download the pdf - but you cant save it - it says invalid annotations. it does offer to export text - this in the adobe standard reader.

definitely something screwy with the file formats - adobe reader which most people have is not happy with them

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2012-03-19 09:47:06 +0800

Seen: 282 times

Last updated: Mar 26 '12

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting