Upgrade from 3.6.4 to 5.0.9 major slowdown for IE

asked 2011-12-28 14:34:37 +0800

dastultz gravatar image dastultz
797 9

Hello,

I'm finally taking a shot at upgrading from Zk 3 to 5. I discovered that Zk 5 is a significant departure from 3 in that the pages are sent to the browser not as HTML (plus JavaScript) but pretty much all JavaScript which is then run to build the page. This has the effect of demanding more CPU from the client. My system has to support IE7 which is terrible at executing JS. As a result I have a complex page (a large data editing grid) that loads in 5 seconds in Zk 3 but takes 16 seconds in Zk 5. I have read the articles on "huge data sets". I don't think I can make use of that as I don't have a "ListModel" behind the UI, it's more like a spreadsheet. The data model is a 2D "table" model rather than a list.

I tried the EE version which supposedly has performance boosts but did not see any improvement. Is there some way to get Zk 5 to send HTML instead of all that JavaScript?

How do all you perceive the performance of IE (older versions) with Zk 5? I'm afraid this is a serious problem for me, I may not be able to continue using Zk with this heavier JavaScript approach. I'm barely getting by with Zk 3 as it is. I was hoping to start using the Professional Edition of Zk 5 or 6.

/Daryl

delete flag offensive retag edit

9 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2011-12-28 18:44:00 +0800

zippy gravatar image zippy
504 1 2

Older IE with zk 5 is too slow in core i5 ...
with IPAD 2 is too slow

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2011-12-29 13:33:18 +0800

797 9

I used Dynatrace to analyze things and my Zk5 page scored an "F" ("A" is best, "F" stand for "Fail").
http://ajax.dynatrace.com/

Have the Zk folks done similar performance testing?

/Daryl

answered 2011-12-29 18:49:31 +0800

504 1 2

The main attribute of zk is integrate ria with java.
I developed apps with zk + java + spring and another j2ee tools
If you dont need java, should consider other framework

answered 2011-12-30 14:07:45 +0800

797 9

Zippy, I don't see how your comment has any relevance to my problem. I'm not complaining about Java. I'm complaining that Zk 5 has much more JavaScript being executed at the browser than Zk 3 and this is a problem for older browsers such as IE7.

/Daryl

answered 2011-12-30 14:22:51 +0800

504 1 2

updated 2011-12-30 14:23:37 +0800

How do all you perceive the performance of IE (older versions) with Zk 5? I'm afraid this is a serious problem for me, I may not be able to continue using Zk with this heavier JavaScript approach
Merged post

Older IE with zk 5 is too slow even in core i5 ...
with IPAD 2 is too slow
---
The main attribute of zk is integrate ria with java.
I developed apps with zk + java + spring and another j2ee tools
If you dont need java, should consider other framework

I have the same performance issue, not much to do

Request feature

answered 2011-12-31 09:33:29 +0800

terrytornado gravatar image terrytornado flag of Germany
9393 3 7 16
http://www.oxitec.de/

updated 2011-12-31 09:36:13 +0800

Hi Daryl,

like zippy said before, zk is for integrate ria with java. A changing from 3.x to 5.x is a change from the used JavaScript Library (now jQuery) too.
The changing from html output to javascript output is a technology continuation and let permit such things like 'client and server fusion' .
Sure on the other side there are older browsers that are not optimized for such massive JavaScript handling. So the best alternative is to force that the users must update their browsers. Personaly i would not miss zk for my web apps. It's the best ria framework for integrate java apps.

best
Stephan

answered 2012-01-02 02:49:57 +0800

RichardL gravatar image RichardL
768 4

updated 2012-01-02 02:56:12 +0800

I just did a quick little test on DynaTrace with IE9 (Firefox 8 not supported on Dynatrace yet) on localhost (with and without browser cache cleared) - 10 grids with three rows filled with some data gets an overall score of A. Strangely enough, the same thing with native components gets a similar score. However, with older browsers this difference (between native and regular components) might be more apparent. It might be worth testing.

answered 2012-01-02 16:41:32 +0800

797 9

Thanks Richard, the score of "F" I mentioned isn't really helpful on its own. Both Zk3 and Zk5 give an "F". That's how heavy my most sophisticated page is. While the Zk3 version takes quite long compared to standard web pages, the Zk5 takes many times longer, so it's all relative for me.

I guess we'll have to decide if we can force people off IE7. It was just a year or two ago where we felt we could force people off IE6. Yes, people still use 6.

/Daryl

answered 2012-01-16 10:32:02 +0800

jumperchen gravatar image jumperchen
3909 2 8
http://jumperchen.blogspo... ZK Team

@Dary,

Have you seen this documentation ? Performance Tip
About this issue -> "a complex page (a large data editing grid) that loads in 5 seconds in Zk 3 but takes 16 seconds in Zk 5"
Due to the difference between ZK 3 and ZK 5, you may change some layout implementation to speed up the performance. It's better if you can provide an example for us to verify the issue.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2011-12-28 14:34:37 +0800

Seen: 371 times

Last updated: Jan 16 '12

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting