A really annoying "feature" of bandbox/listbox.

asked 2010-10-04 08:20:40 +0800

Bobzk gravatar image Bobzk
444 1 8

I've already posted a bug here about the difference in behaviour between FF and IE when you use a bandbox - I can sort of overcome that with programming (detecting which browser) but I now come up against a really annoying problem that in a "real world" application annoys users -

The problem is, a user cannot select a listbox item if it has already been selected.

Why would they want to you ask? Well as an example, they open the dropdown by mistake. There are many other reasons aswell.

The user has to close the window by navigating away or clicking the button - all non-intuitive and not their normal behaviour.

delete flag offensive retag edit

6 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2010-10-04 10:41:10 +0800

caclark gravatar image caclark
1753 2 5
http://clarktrips.intltwi...

Well as an example, they open the dropdown by mistake

Are they dropping the list down with the down arrow button? Why can't they just click it again to close it?

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2010-10-04 11:07:32 +0800

444 1 8

They can do that but it is not intuitive - they are not all computer wiskids like me and you (:-) - this is an actual complain from "real" users I'm dealing with.

"normal" browser select drop downs DO ALLOW selection of the already selected item - the bandbox/listbox behaviour is not the same.

Think also for example a created/dynamic list - enter "B" and all items with beginning "B" are shown (say 3 items). User selects one (the only one) beginning "BE" - a few mins later user enter "BE" again (don't ask why) - this time only one item is shown (the one beginning "BE") - users thinks great, tries to select it - can't of course. Then has to realise it is already selected and click the arrow.

I'm not saying it is not possible - just that it is not intuitive or the same as normal select drop downs.

I can attempt to program around it. I can attempt to change the user interface. My point is, I don't think we should have to. There should be an option on the bandbox/listbox to allow select of already selected item.

But perhaps that is simply my "opinion" and I'm being too fussy/helpful on behalf of my users.

answered 2010-10-04 11:14:03 +0800

444 1 8

caclark, by the way your response was the same as mine originally (and of most other computer people I talked to), so I'm not criticising you. Just that after talking to users, I came to the opinion that they were right and we were wrong.

answered 2010-10-05 04:14:22 +0800

444 1 8

Perhaps what is required here (to keep compatibility with existing applications) is a "clickOnSelected="true/false" (that defaults to false) on the ZUL.

Listbox selection would (if clickOnSelected="true") be consistent with existing HTML selectbox behaviour.

answered 2010-10-10 11:11:36 +0800

iantsai gravatar image iantsai
2755 1

updated 2010-10-10 11:12:01 +0800

Have you tried register "onClick" on the listitem, rather than "onSelect" on Listbox?

I'm not sure, but maybe this will solve the problem.

answered 2010-10-11 07:32:31 +0800

444 1 8

Thanks Iantsai,

In fact that is what I do now. I don't use onSelect at all. Do things via onChanging, onOpen, onClose and (as you say) onClick.

We shouldn't have to go thru hoops to work around features but sometimes it is the quickest way.

Only thing I would mention is if you use onClick, the paging box also generates a click, so you have to work around this as well if you use mold="paging".

In the end I got it all working. On select is 9and should be) the obvious way but if it doesn't work, we have to work around it.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2010-10-04 08:20:40 +0800

Seen: 372 times

Last updated: Oct 11 '10

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting