Performance/Load Evaluation

asked 2010-06-14 15:47:53 +0800

eptx gravatar image eptx
130 3

I strongly favor ZK's programming model. But I must have some settings off. Any help from those with experience deploying ZK under load is appreciated. My experience with initial load testing has not been favorable in that running "ab" a few times on a simple page brings the app to its knees.
Thanks!

For example:

Environment
Macbook Pro, 2.6GHz Dual Core, 4MB RAM
Java 6, 64bit
Tomcat 6.0.26

Run the following apache bench 6 times to drown ZK app
> ab -n 2000 -c 50 http://localhost:8080/

index.zul
<?variable-resolver class="org.zkoss.zkplus.spring.DelegatingVariableResolver"?>
<window title="My First window" border="normal" >
<hbox>
<label value="${message.text}"/>
</hbox>
</window>

Message class (Just straight pojo)
public class Message extends Object {
private String text;
public String getText() { return text; }
public void setText(String text) { this.text = text; }
}

Spring Bean
<bean id="message" class="org.test.zk.Message">
<property name="text" value="Hello ZK Spring World" />
</bean>

delete flag offensive retag edit

3 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2010-06-14 19:51:42 +0800

eptx gravatar image eptx
130 3

The issues above seem simply to be related to vm memory and thread management--its a server-side, stateful framework after all...right.
-Increasing servlet container heap allowed more connections as expected.
-What I didn't understand was how zk processes events and the options available. This article provides some good tips and the trade-offs using the event processing thread vs. servlet threads to handle events.
http://docs.zkoss.org/wiki/Performance_Tip#Use_the_Servlet_Thread_to_Process_Events
After increasing the heap to 1g and switching to servlet event handling

With these changes I was able to run the following apache bench 11 times before maxing out the heap
ab -n 10000 -c 100 http://localhost:8080/
*Note that compared to the previous post this is 5x the hits, 2x the concurrency, and 2x the runs as before
*Requests/second for each of these runs was between 480 and 1100 with most ~ 650 req/s

QUESTION: So my question for you experienced ZK 5.x users is why would I use the event processing thread? Performance and memory consumption is drastically degraded with that setting...maybe as bad as 50% more memory use and 1/3rd the performance. Any insight appreciated.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2010-06-14 20:28:58 +0800

samchuang gravatar image samchuang
4084 4

updated 2010-06-14 20:29:54 +0800

Hi

thanks for your testing result

I have a theory about this

I think disable thread processing is good when need memory.

On the other hand
When I need to suspend the processing thread, I will need to enable the event processing thread.
For example, when a event need to use concurrent thread to calculate the result, and get result from these coucurrent thread when finish, then I will have to suspend the event thread and wait for the result

I think use thread is a good option when need concurrent computation

I am wondering, could someone provide the real case to use event processing thread ?

answered 2010-06-15 11:56:47 +0800

jj gravatar image jj
638 3

Obviously, with the Event processing thread, the programming model for Modal dialog is much more straight-forward. If using the servlet thread, you'll have to fake the Modal window, and write extra code to figure out the state when a Modal dialog is closed because the processing returns immediately after opening the dialog window.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2010-06-14 15:47:53 +0800

Seen: 257 times

Last updated: Jun 15 '10

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting