GPL scenario

asked 2010-02-04 13:11:04 +0800

mklaene gravatar image mklaene

I hesitate bringing this up as there are probably a million similar discussions out on the internet regarding the GPL but I'd like to get the ZK team's perspective with the recent license changes (I know ZK was always GPL until recently).

Here's the scenario:

I have an open-source project, under the GPL license. It is, let's say a web-based financial package. I am using ZK5 EE (after ZK team has given me permission to do so because I have demonstrated to their satisfaction that my project is open-source).

Company A downloads my GPL financial package, installs it on their servers and uses it. It has my software and ZK libraries bundled within it (along with JFreeChart and a few other libraries).

They can either use it for free or they may choose to pay or not pay me for a support package.

They can make customizations to the package, perhaps writing extensions that call ZK libraries directly (who knows what they will do). If they are writing significant customizations with the ZK libraries, I can refer them to ZK and *suggest* that they might want to purchase a support license from them, but they're under no obligation to do so.

Are they free to do these things without obligation to pay either my company or ZK **as long as they don't re-distribute my package or their enhancements that utilize the ZK library**? My understanding is yes. The key word is 'distribute' as long as they don't bundle it and try to resell it. If they distribute under anything but the GPL, they must pay for a commercial license from me, and ZK for the right to do so.

This site provided me with a really good refresher on the GPL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyUseGPL

Can someone confirm or correct me on this?

Thanks,
Mike

delete flag offensive retag edit

2 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2010-02-05 22:37:52 +0800

zero5 gravatar image zero5

I never figured out this -- maybe it is the reason I am an engineer, not a lawyer;) Did you ask OSF the question? They shall be the expert.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2010-02-12 02:37:23 +0800

xmedeko gravatar image xmedeko
1031 1 16
http://xmedeko.blogspot.c...

Hi mkleane,
under which license the ZK team has provided you their ZK EP? GPL or other one? If GPL, then your client company may redistribute ZK EP under GPL.

I think you should ask ZK team at [email protected] if they do not respond to this thread. I am curious how it the solution of this legal problem, please, let us know.

link publish delete flag offensive edit
Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2010-02-04 13:11:04 +0800

Seen: 473 times

Last updated: Feb 12 '10

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting