12:/news/zk5.dsp

asked 2009-07-14 13:37:35 +0800

anonymous gravatar image anonymous

I am expecting full compatibility over with my previous code.

I am expecting it be more FAST FAST FAST.

I am expecting it use LESS MEMORY.

How much memory ZK 5 uses in comparizon with previous version?

Regards,

delete flag offensive retag edit

53 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2009-07-14 13:51:20 +0800

congrats

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2009-07-14 16:46:27 +0800

Congratulations!!!!

I mostly agree with Marcos, but I don't expect to be full compatible with version 3.6 because it's a major change. However, I expect to be able to develop for version 5 in the same way, i.e., don't need to handle JS at all, but if I want to, it's easier with zk 5 than 3.

Way to go!!

answered 2009-07-15 02:14:50 +0800

They did it?, ZK 5 LGPL WOW!!. Its awesome that and the features with JQuery its so great!. Congratulations ZK Team now is time for Rock more and the sky is the limit.

By the way do you have a roadmap when will be avaible the beta or the release? I want to try this on production :D

answered 2009-07-15 04:42:26 +0800

hai,

i hope zk5.x can handle database too. so we are developer do not need to configure JDBC or database layer.

just send query syntax

Regards,

Andy Susanto

answered 2009-07-15 07:21:40 +0800

Congratulations, it looks very interesting. ZK has been taking some extraordinary strides recently - ZKStudio and Zeta Forms for example.

If I may add a word of caution: I have become disillusioned with open-source projects in the past when they charge ahead, adding new features without ensuring that the existing features are fully debugged and stable. Please don't make the mistake of forgetting about keeping the basic framework quick and reliable!

@Marcos - are you talking about browser memory, or server? I have been very happy with server-side memory usage on 3.6, whereas client-side memory usage is currently (unsurprisingly) highly variable between browsers.

@Andy I'm baffled by what you're asking for - if you want to write SQL queries in your web page. surely PHP is what you're after?!

answered 2009-07-15 08:01:50 +0800

Great preview! That rocks!

BTW: why do you skip version 4.x ???

As you are moving to LGPL does that mean that you will drop the dual license model. As far as I know LGPL would permit closed commercial ZK based applications, as ZK is more or less a "linked library".

@David: I can confirm that server side memory usage is fair as far as you support just a few 10 to 100 concurrent sessions (single server) and with IE the performance is sometimes pure but it become far better with 3.6.2! But client side memory usage is a nightmare if you have many ui components or if you have to deal with large amount of data.

answered 2009-07-15 08:03:25 +0800

Congratulations! I really love to see the integration of jQuery. Good move.

@Marcos: I guess the performance issue you referenced is the browser's capability to handle complex CSS introduced since 3.6. I had simplified the theme, and it works really fast.

@ZK: I suggested to have a theme that is less trendy but fast to render. ZK Calendar is a good move -- no background images but div.

answered 2009-07-15 08:10:41 +0800

@Horst: don't use live data if amount is huge, since listbox will create every listitem for them (even though the real content is not loaded). I solved this by use of an external paging.

answered 2009-07-15 09:27:52 +0800

I personally really don't like programming in Javascript, that's one of the feature that bring me to use ZK, but i know that some client action are needed in modern web app.
What about a GWT like solution that convert a subset of Java Code to Javascript?

answered 2009-07-15 11:59:12 +0800

@Madruga: Compatibility in same way you expect: "I expect to be able to develop for version 5 in the same way"

@David and Horst: Until today all my application has no problem related to performance! I would like to see how much memory ZK 5 uses less than previous ZK Version in both server and client side.

One last note, it is better if ZK can upgrade bean shell to version 2 and mvel also to version 2.

Regards

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2009-07-14 13:37:35 +0800

Seen: 55 times

Last updated: May 10 '11

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting