ZK 5.0 preview released!

asked 2009-07-14 10:22:13 +0800

robbiecheng gravatar image robbiecheng
1144 2
http://robbiecheng.sys-co...

We are proud to announce the release of ZK 5 preview edition with some major changes, including a move to the LGPL license, a revolutionary architecture client+server fusion offering the same productivity gains with more control and the use of jQuery allowing you maximize the user experience.
http://www.zkoss.org/news/zk5.dsp

Download it here!

/robbie

delete flag offensive retag edit

8 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2009-07-15 08:34:02 +0800

chanwit gravatar image chanwit
93 1

Congratulations! I am looking forward to the full release.

Chanwit

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2009-07-21 19:14:03 +0800

davidhoyt gravatar image davidhoyt

What happened to ZK 4.0?

answered 2009-07-22 06:07:59 +0800

PeterKuo gravatar image PeterKuo
481 2

There is always no ZK 4.0.
Because it's a big leap of ZK,
therefore the version number jump from 3 to 5.

answered 2009-07-22 17:46:31 +0800

davidhoyt gravatar image davidhoyt

That still doesn't make much sense to me... (c: Big changes != Jumps in version numbers (which is only confusing for ZK newbies).

answered 2009-07-24 15:34:47 +0800

nagkumar gravatar image nagkumar

updated 2009-07-24 15:40:20 +0800

With iZUML and client centric approach, are we not going back to browser incompatibility by encouraging users to write javascript code (I know history repeats.. but not so fast..)

I see echo3 too supporting such features on the name of reducing the load on server..

In my view, the best architecture is that framework should support min of server calls with smartly deciding to use client or server power for any operation(say in case of sorting of static table contents to use client power, in case of db driven data use server power) with almost zero or min code instructions by developers. This kind of optimization could be done at run time or could have compile time option as in GWT to convert the code to javascript and deploy at server

Introducing parallel components for client side ui is a very bad design in my view. Any case if the technology is going this way now.. it would come back for sure (sad part would be by then few of the companies would have lost lot of $$$ and time leading to technlogy mis trust).

Small and Med size companies pl. watch out and it is advised not to use such client javascript ui as it would have great impact on the productivity both the grounds of javascript issues and distributed logic.

Would applicate forum expert members views in case I am missing any thing in this new feature..

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com
-Offshore Web 2.0 Excellence

answered 2009-07-28 15:06:42 +0800

svenasse gravatar image svenasse

We develop our ZK3 applications completely server-side (all widgets instantiated through Java -- no .zul files). Will we be able to take advantage of JQuery utilising this method of development in ZK5?

answered 2009-07-28 15:17:54 +0800

YamilBracho gravatar image YamilBracho
1722 2

As I understand, ZK will generate all the JQuery and javascript code for you when you work in server-side approach.
Then you can use your Javascript as you need some special client side requirements.

answered 2009-08-31 13:16:13 +0800

monku gravatar image monku

Hi.

I just downloaded ZK5 and inside I found that "/doc/COPYING" containst GPL v 3, so where is the chango to LGPL?

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2009-07-14 10:22:13 +0800

Seen: 849 times

Last updated: Aug 31 '09

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting