On heights and widths

asked 2009-03-02 07:20:14 +0800

CBogdan gravatar image CBogdan

updated 2009-03-02 07:27:33 +0800

Hello,

Could someone please explain to me how the heights and widths properties work (e.g. the percentages) , what are the rules that apply when I want to set these properties in components contained in other components?
For example if I set a "100%" height on a component this means that it will be "100%" of the parent component height, when the parent height could be "30%" of its parent? I have some problems on the "height" property when using portal layouts, the "width" works ok so I can fill the screen on the width but I cannot do the same on the height.

Thank you,

delete flag offensive retag edit

3 Replies

Sort by » oldest newest

answered 2009-03-02 08:50:03 +0800

cvarona gravatar image cvarona
554 1 6

Hallo Bogdan,

as one of the old developer guides puts it

You can specify the width for each cell of hbox with the widths property as follows.

<hbox width="100%" widths="10%,20%,30%,40%"><label value="10%"/><label value="20%"/><label value="30%"/><label value="40%"/></hbox>                

The value is a list of widths separated by comma. If any value is missed, no width is generated for the corresponding cell and the real width is up to the browser.

In other words, you specify widths or heights in a parent component in order not to have to set them up in every child; it does not make much sense to specify a certain components width or height via both a 'width' or 'height' attribute and 'widths' or 'heights' on its parent; anyway, and to the best of my knowledge, the latter will supercede the former (i.e., 'widths' and 'heights' rule over any width or height specified on the children).

As for your problem with height=100% I have not succeeded in making it work but in very simple forms, as long as every ancestor displays height=100% as well, and only if there are not "complicated" components involved, such as tabboxes, but perhaps somebody will be able to tell you better.

With kind regards

César Varona

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2009-03-02 11:40:36 +0800

CBogdan gravatar image CBogdan

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. One thing is still not clear for me, the child height and width values refer to the "space" available in the container where they are located in, or to the whole "space" dedicated to the page... probably I didn't write this right, but I hope I make some sense.

And yes, in my case I have a window with a tabbox that holds a portallayout with panels inside. The problem is on these panels. What I did so far was to use "px" values instead of "%" and it works, but I'm not satisfied this way.

Best regards,

answered 2009-03-02 12:17:04 +0800

cvarona gravatar image cvarona
554 1 6

Hallo Bogdan,

just try

<window title="My First Window" border="normal" width="100%">
    <hbox width="100%" widths="10%,20%,30%,40%">
        <label value="10%" style="background-color: red;"/><label value="20%" style="background-color: orange;"/><label value="30%" style="background-color: green;"/><label value="40%" style="background-color:  yellow;"/>
    </hbox>
    <hbox width="50%" widths="10%,20%,30%,40%">
        <label value="10%" style="background-color: red;"/><label value="20%" style="background-color: orange;"/><label value="30%" style="background-color: green;"/><label value="40%" style="background-color:  yellow;"/>
    </hbox>
</window>
anywhere on the online demo.

Best regards

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2009-03-02 07:20:14 +0800

Seen: 177 times

Last updated: Mar 02 '09

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting