Can not get zkdemo to work

asked 2008-11-17 12:38:56 +0800

Steve gravatar image Steve
39 2 2

I've installed Tomcat 6 on my Vista machine. I installed it to "c:\Apache\Tomcat 6.0" The service is running. I can access localhost:8080 and then access 'List Applications', 'Server Status' etc but get a HTTP 404 error when entering, http://localhost:8080/zkdemo/.

Under 'List Applications' I can clearly see 'zkdemo' along with the other default folders. Clicking /zkdemo or /host manager or /manager, I get a 404 error (The requested resource (/manager/) is not available.). For zkdemo the error is simply, The requested resource () is not available.

Any help appreciated.

Steve.

delete flag offensive retag edit

16 Replies

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2008-11-17 12:55:22 +0800

39 2 2

Further. In installing Tomcat 6 I also installed the examples that came with Tomcat 6. Those examples all work.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2008-11-17 23:41:50 +0800

39 2 2

Anyone.....

answered 2008-11-19 00:39:22 +0800

39 2 2

I'm still unable to successfully run the demo program. I uninstalled Tomcat 6, installed Tomcat 5.5 as that is the version referred to in the basic install documents. Still the same problem. I've checked that Java JDK is working correctly, which it is, have successfully compiled 'HelloWorldApp.java' program from the command prompt. JDK bin directory is in my system 'path' variable.

The only difference now from changing from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 5.5 is that at least under 'List Applications' the demo program is now indicating 'true' for running but clicking on the demo program I get this 404 error, "The requested resource (/zk-demo-3.5.1/) is not available."

Any advice welcome.

answered 2008-11-19 02:01:53 +0800

39 2 2

Finally, got the the demo program to work. Reading the Apress Bokk (online), ZK... by Henri CHEN, page 10, instructions to install Tomcat 5.5 manually, via unzipping, there was reference to creating a "JAVA_HOME" environmental variable to the JDK installation directory. I checked my system, sure enough that system variable wasn't set. After setting it, rebooting, it now works. Why the setting wasn't set when I installed Tomcat 5.5 automatically, via the installer, I've got no idea.

Hope this helps others.

Steve.

answered 2008-11-20 00:22:39 +0800

flyworld gravatar image flyworld
155 3

In fact, tomcat won't set environment variable JAVA_HOME or PATH to you,
because you might have several version of JDK or JRE.

answered 2008-11-21 08:48:11 +0800

yan gravatar image yan

Steve,

I have a similar problem. I was just wondering if you finally installed ZK ?
It's so hard to setup this program... I am using TOMCAT5.5 and it's running fine but I just can't get a simple Zk-demo to run.

Did u find an easy and fast way to do it ?

Thanks'
Yan

answered 2008-11-21 10:08:04 +0800

39 2 2

No easy way, all I did was set the JAVA_HOME environmental variable to the JDK directory as mentioned above. I haven't begun any actual development/learning since then, will look at some simple tutorials over the weekend. As far as installing ZK, I don't think it's actually installed as such but merely copied to your development project folder (though I could be wrong). So when you start a new project, copy it again (again I could be wrong). This is what I'll come to grips with over the next few weeks.

answered 2008-12-01 07:56:43 +0800

robbiecheng gravatar image robbiecheng
1144 2
http://robbiecheng.sys-co...

Hi Steve,

I've tried to go through the all process by myself, installing JAVA JDK, Tomcat Server, and deploying zkdemo.war.
It goes smoothly. I guess you install Tomcat Server by zip file instead of installer since installer should ask you about the location of your Java JDK library.
By the way, did you read quick start guide?

Please feel free to give us feedback.

/robbie

answered 2008-12-02 09:01:09 +0800

39 2 2

Thanks Robbie and yes I did read that guide. Everything's working for me now, it was the other poster, yan, who is still having problems.

answered 2008-12-02 12:14:47 +0800

robertlee gravatar image robertlee

From what I know, you basically need to do the following:
1.Download tomcat and install it,
2.Download zkdemo and zk
3.Deploy zkdemo's war with tomcat,
4.add every jar you can find from zk library to zkdemo's lib directory (with no subfolders).

Let me know if this is not clear.
Regards,
rob

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2008-11-17 12:38:56 +0800

Seen: 2,743 times

Last updated: Apr 18 '10

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting